Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy Hour

If you read my last blog, you have already seen a few on the tons of children that live in this neighborhood. Since there are so many, I decided to have a little something every Sunday to teach them a Bible story and provide a little snack. Oddly enough, the children's ministries here are called "Hora de Feliz,"...Happy Hour.

Sunday was my first time and it went super. We had told them about it earlier in the week, but apparently they had forgotten that it was Sunday, so the girls and I went outside to remind them. As always, there were about 10 kids sitting on the front porch of our house just hanging out. I asked them if they were coming, and they all acted as if they had no idea what I was talking about. I reminded them of what we were having, that it started in 15 minutes, and to bring colored pencils if they had some. They all jumped up as fast as they could to run home to get their pencils, and tell the rest of the kids in the neighborhood. I think the final number ended up being about 18 children in total, some of which that I had never even seen before. It was a super turnout and I was so excited. I read them the story of creation along with a little slide show. Then afterwards, they each got a paper and were assigned a day of creation to draw. (The picture to the left is two of the most roudy kids of the bunch. Everyone was so shocked to see them sitting so quietly and contently drawing their pictures.) Everyone went above and beyond of what we were expecting and they put a lot of time and effort into their drawings, older kids too! Some of them didn't even want to stop drawing to take a group picture. We also served popcorn and Caricia (here's version of Kool-Aid).
The past few days, several of the kids have came up to me and told me that they couldn't wait for this Sunday's lesson, and that they had so much fun drawing and doing coloring pages. It's so shocking to see how something so simple can mean so much to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment